In this article
- What is the Overseas Networks and Expertise (ONE) Pass?
- What Are the Benefits of the Singapore ONE Pass?
- Ultimate Employment Flexibility
- Fewer Employment Requirements
- Longer Validity
- Spouses Can Work With a Letter of Consent (LOC)
- What Are the Requirements of the ONE Pass?
- What Are the Documents Needed for a ONE Pass Application?
- What is the Process of the ONE Pass Application?
- ONE Pass Renewal Criteria
- Apply for the ONE Pass
Singapore’s newest work pass, the Overseas Networks and Expertise (ONE) Pass, began accepting applications on 1 January 2023.
This work visa is the city-state’s latest attempt in its fight against other countries worldwide to compete for the best and most qualified talent in various industries.
In this blog, we take you through the different aspects of the ONE Pass, including what it involves, how the application process is like, and how we can help.
What is the Overseas Networks and Expertise (ONE) Pass?
The ONE Pass is a personalised 5-year renewable work pass designed to attract top talent in business, arts and culture, sports, science, technology, academia, and research.
The ONE Pass is issued by the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) and is tailored to meet the needs of highly skilled professionals who wish to pursue their careers in Singapore.
What Are the Benefits of the Singapore ONE Pass?
The ONE Pass offers several advantages to pass holders, such as job flexibility, fewer employment conditions, and the chance for spouses to work in Singapore.
Ultimate Employment Flexibility
The ONE Pass’ greatest advantage lies in its employment flexibility that allows eligible applicants to concurrently start, operate and work for multiple employers in Singapore without the need to apply for separate passes.
Unlike other work visas, ONE Pass holders can choose to register a company in Singapore and run it.
Since it is a personalised pass linked to the individual, pass holders also need not reapply for a new work visa even if they change jobs.
Having to apply for or renew a work pass can cause anxiety from the uncertainty, causing pass holders to rethink their decision to stay – which is what the ONE Pass can mitigate.
Fewer Employment Requirements
ONE Pass holders are not subject to the Complementarity Assessment Framework (COMPASS), a new points-based eligibility assessment system that grades potential foreign applicants.
Typically, Employment Pass (EP) applicants must pass a 2-stage qualifying criteria that includes the COMPASS framework from Sept 2023 before they can be accepted.
Employers also need not adhere to the Fair Consideration Framework (FCF) job advertising guidelines before they hire ONE Pass holders.
This means that it can be a more hassle-free employment experience for both employers and ONE Pass holders.
Unlike other work passes, the ONE Pass offers an attractive validity of 5 years that is also renewal upon meeting the renewal criteria.
This makes it an ideal choice for those who intend to remain in Singapore for the long term, whether to settle down or to oversee their business operations and growth personally.
Spouses Can Work With a Letter of Consent (LOC)
The spouses of ONE Pass holders can have the opportunity to work in Singapore with an LOC. This is a certificate of authorisation that allows eligible individuals to work for a Singapore company.
This benefit is likely to attract dual-income spouses to enter Singapore to work without the need for either one to give up their career.
What Are the Requirements of the ONE Pass?
There are 2 routes that candidates can choose from when applying for the ONE Pass. They are:
Route 1: Salary Criteria
Applicants choosing this route must meet both conditions:
- Must have been earning at least S$30,000 every month from 1 employer, or its equivalent amount in foreign currency, over the past 1 year, or will do so under their future Singapore-based employer
- Show that they have been working for a recognised company overseas for a minimum of 1 year, or will be doing so in Singapore. Current work pass holders must demonstrate that they have been working for any business in Singapore for at least 1 year or will be doing so
A company is considered established if it has a market capitalisation of at least US$500 million or a yearly revenue of at least US$200 million.
Route 2: Exceptional Achievements
Even if an applicant does not fulfil the first route, they can still apply if they have outstanding achievements in their areas of expertise.
Applicants must turn in their:
- Detailed curriculum vitae (CV) with details academic qualifications, professional experiences and noteworthy achievements
- Letter of endorsement by a local Singapore research institution such as autonomous universities or A*STAR if they are applying under the research and academia outstanding achievement track
However, as mentioned above, it is important to note that whichever route is selected, candidates should represent at least 1 or more of these areas:
- Academia and research
- The arts and culture
- Science and technology
What Are the Documents Needed for a ONE Pass Application?
The documents required depend on the path that applicants choose. Here is a quick breakdown:
|Fixed monthly salary of S$30,000 working for a company in Singapore||Fixed monthly salary of S$30,000 working for a company overseas||Fixed monthly salary of S$30,000 for a future Singapore-based employer|
What is the Process of the ONE Pass Application?
Here is a brief overview of how the process will usually go:
- Step 1: Application submission
- Step 2: Receipt of the In-Principle Approval (IPA) Letter
- Step 3: Applicant enters Singapore
- Step 4: Make an appointment to get the ONE Pass issued at the Employment Pass Services Centre (EPSC) within 6 months of the IPA
- Step 5: Get a notification letter that allows the candidate to travel and work inside and outside of Singapore for 1 month
- Step 6 (only for new candidates and existing candidates who registered over 5 years ago): Register fingerprints and take photos within 2 weeks of ONE Pass issuance
- Step 7: Successful applicants will get the ONE Pass within 5 working days of registration or document verification
How Long is the ONE Pass Application Process?
The ONE Pass application process usually takes about 4 weeks. However, the process may take longer if it falls under the “outstanding achievements” track.
ONE Pass Renewal Criteria
Renewals are valid for another 5 years. To qualify for renewal, the pass holder must fulfil either requirement:
- Be earning a minimum fixed monthly salary of S$30,000 on average over the past 5 years in Singapore
- Must have started and be running a Singapore-based company that hires at least 5 locals earning at least S$5,000 each
Apply for the ONE Pass
Overall, the Overseas Networks & Expertise Pass provides an attractive option for highly skilled professionals and companies seeking to bring in their top executives.
SCI has a dedicated team of experts who are experienced in helping companies secure their ONE Passes for employees. We are here to guide you through every step of the way!
Get Your ONE Passes Now
SCI will help you get the ONE Pass for your company’s top talent with our expertise