Frequently Asked Questions
Why should I incorporate a Singapore private limited company?
Singapore also has comprehensive trade agreements with over 100 regions of the world, excellent connectivity, strategic geographical location, proximity to world’s largest emerging markets including India and China, and robust IP protection.
Can you help me incorporate a Singapore company?
What is the major advantage of incorporating a private limited company in Singapore?
What are the different types of business structures in Singapore?
What are the key requirements to incorporate a company in Singapore?
- at least one shareholder which may be an individual or a corporate entity
- one resident director (either a Singapore citizen, permanent resident, Employment Pass holder or a Dependant Pass holder)
- one resident company secretary
- initial paid-up share capital of at least S$1, or equivalent in any currency
- a physical Singapore office address, and cannot be a PO Box
Read More » Company Registration Guide
What are the various types of companies in Singapore depending on the number of shares and types of shareholders?
- Exempt private company (EPC): – If the number of shareholders are 20 or less, and there are no corporate shareholders
- Private Limited:- If the shareholders are more than 20 but less than 50.
- Public company:- If the number of shareholders exceeds 50, it becomes a public company.
Read more about Exempt Private Company Limited by Shares.
What are public companies in Singapore?
When a private company has grown and has more than 50 shareholders, it must be converted to a public company limited by shares.
It is important to note that the compliance requirements for public companies are much higher than that of private companies.
What are public companies limited by guarantee in Singapore?
Importantly, there is no share capital in such companies. When the company is wound up, each member just pays the amount that they have guaranteed, which can be as little S$1.
What is treated as a private company in Singapore?
Importantly, the memorandum and articles of association (MAA) of a Singapore company puts restriction on its members to transfer their shares in the company.
What is an exempt private company in Singapore?
- no more than 20 shareholders; and
- all the shareholders are individuals
Read more about Exempt Private Company.
What documents are needed to incorporate a company in Singapore?
Meanwhile, if the shareholder is a corporate entity, documents needed are copy of the parent company’s certificate of incorporation, and copy of official documents reflecting the registered address and directors of the parent company.
How to select a Singapore company name?
How to select the Singapore company business activities?
Does a private limited company in Singapore has a standard shareholding pattern?
The total number of shares existing in the company multiplied by the nominal value of each share gives the issued share capital of the company.
Does Singapore allow 100 percent foreign shareholding of a company?
What’s the minimum paid up capital required to register a company in Singapore?
What is the minimum and maximum amount of shareholders permitted in a Singapore company?
Is it compulsory for a private limited company in Singapore to have a Singapore resident company director?
Importantly, a company director and shareholder can be the same or different person in Singapore
For those who wish to set up a Singapore company but cannot relocate to Singapore, we provide the services of a resident nominee director on a long-term or temporary basis. This can help you in fulfilling the Singapore companies’ statutory requirement of a resident director.
Is it compulsory for a private limited company in Singapore to have a local registered address?
Also, the official address of your company must be a physical address and cannot be a PO Box.
Do you provide virtual office services?
Is it compulsory for a private limited company in Singapore to have a resident company secretary?
You can outsource this requirement to us, under the ambit of our corporate services and we will take care of your company secretary requirements.
Is it compulsory for a private limited company in Singapore to have an auditor?
Though before July 2015, exempt private companies with yearly revenue of less than S$5 million were exempted from audit compliance. Now, that has been replaced by a “small company” concept.
What is defined as a small company in Singapore?
- it is a private company in the financial year in question; and
- it meets at least 2 of 3 following criteria for immediate past two consecutive financial years:
- total annual revenue ≤ $10m;
- total assets ≤ $10m;
- no. of employees ≤ 50
For a company which is part of a group:
- the company must qualify as a small company; and
- entire group must be a “small group” to qualify to the audit exemption.